Tru-D Disinfection Robot a First for the Western Slope

 

Montrose Memorial Hospital is the first hospital on the Western Slope to bring the Smart Sensor 360® automated UVC disinfection technology to the region. Dubbed Tru-D, short for “total room ultraviolet disinfection,” the wheeled disinfection robot helps keep patients and staff safe from harmful germs.

Tru-D is the first UVC disinfection robot on the market. UVC light is short-wavelength ultraviolet light, a special kind of treatment that creates harsh conditions for germs – either killing or inactivating bacteria, viruses and protozoa.

When transported to a patient room, after the patient goes home, the robot analyzes the room and dispenses a measured dose of UVC energy to disinfect and ensure a safe environment for patient care. Tru-D measures six feet tall and projects light in all directions, allowing for disinfection even in areas of the room with shadows. Sensors on Tru-D allow the device to measure the UVC energy reflected from walls and surfaces and change energy dosage accordingly to ensure thorough room disinfection.

Tru-D will not replace MMH’s award-winning Environmental Services staff but supplement them – adding an extra layer of protection against infections. Four staff are trained to take Tru-D to patient rooms and initiate the disinfection process, which is completed in all four operating rooms. After Tru-D has completed a job (usually 20-25 minutes), the device automatically shuts down and notifies the operator via text message that the disinfection cycle is complete.

Ten years after Montrose Memorial Hospital became the first hospital on the Western Slope to feature the da Vinci Si robot-assisted surgical system, the hospital is now the first to bring another new robotic technology to the region. Patients can be comforted by the fact that the hospital’s already-low infection rates will be aided by state-of-the-art technology.

Montrose Memorial Hospital is reducing the risk of infections for our Friends & Family by ensuring operating rooms are as safe as can be!